Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Me!

Oh man this weekend was probably the best birthday weekend I have had in a long time. So yeah I'm older now not much to say about that but let's go over my birthday celebration.

First off I don't throw parties and haven't since Sophomore in high school. Now a days I just go out with the family to eat out. This outing was special though because we went to Yoshi's in Oakland California which is Japanese restaurant, bar and Jazz club. So I had a nice dinner and got to sample high class sake (I'm of age to drink but I'm not a fan of it but I will at least spend some years drinking a little bit for occasion but that's it. Sake or rice wine is my kind of drink though) and had an alright pork chop. I don't really eat sea food so yeah I really can't judge sushi even if I did order some. It was good none the less.

So the big part of this dinner was that we had reservations for the Jazz concert that would be playing after our meal. My favorite genre of music is Jazz so this was super thrilling. It's neat because this night (we did this yesterday because school is tomorrow and such) a combination of my favorite things Japan and Jazz. The band playing was fronted by a Japanese Pianist too. Hiromi Trio Project was playing that night it boy was the performance full of energy and passion. Hiromi Uehara is now one of my favorite pianist and she had one bomb of a trio to perform with her.

I was super thrilled to experience that I ended up buying her album. Best birthday celebration ever.

I also got a gift and in my opinion a very awesome one at that.

Yup "The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away." Spirited Away is practically the reason why I'm here studying animation. It's the first Miyazaki movie I saw all the way through and it blew my mind. It stands as being tied as my favorite movie of all time with Summer Wars. This book has 240 pages of concept art, cells, and information on what Miyazaki thought's during the development of the movie as well as the complete script. I'm going to definitely going to sit down and read this book over and over again and take as much from it as I can. I have a lot of art books and this one has to be the most helpful. I should really do a section where I tour my art book collection.

Yeah anyways I love my family they made my day incredible. I'm happy to have the family I have. Now back to making them proud by producing incredible art.

It also neat that every once in awhile my B-day falls on top of Easter. Which is a pretty important day for Catholics. I'm Catholic but not so religious but I still attend church and such maybe that fact added to how incredible my celebration was.

Anyways stay classy and ciao~

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Happy Birthday, L.A.!!! It's great to hear that it was a fun and got wonderful surprises! And oh my gosh, I am in love with "Spirited Away", it's one of my favorite movies of all! Miyazaki movies are just amazing, I can't get over how well the artwork and story lines are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah Spirited Away is such an incredible film. I've seen a lot of Miyazaki's films but this is the one film that blew my mind even though my first Miyazaki film was Princess Mononoke. I love Miyazaki's story telling and I really hope that my story telling is similar to his.

      Delete