Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring Break, art equipment and web comics

Ah so happy to have a small break from school. Bio 101 is kicking a lot of our arses. You'd think an exam would be easy and you'd get a decent grade when the test are group test. Apparently not and the whole class scored badly on the last test. Our professor is probably being super strict or something.

Anyways spring break yes I can sleep in. I've been dead tired in the day time these past couple of weeks. I'm not a morning person yet I would rather take morning classes just to get them out of the way. Oh and April is coming up which is when I will really start getting into gear and actually start producing content for my web comic/manga how ever you want to call.

Tangent: I draw in the anime/manga style but yet I call it web comic and such. I know no one has pointed it out but I find myself thinking about this oddly enough. So when I say web comic it can be defined as either comic or manga since I honestly consider the two words to be the same. Same goes with anime and cartoons. I would rather refer to the two as animations or animated shows if all possible but anime is generally the fastest way to type it so yeah. If anything I could just refer to my comic as web graphic novel, but yeah that's a bit of an odd tangent I pointed out. I don't care how anyone calls it comic, manga or graphic novel they mean the same thing so yeah don't be too confused.

Tangent 2: I feel like getting an Intuos well more like on the fence. See it may not be a good investment right now because of the fact that I'm not a professional and such. I've been using art tablets for 5 years and my good partner, Wacom Bamboo has been a great help for those 5 years. It's far from kicking the bucket too, but I feel that I want to try out the other great pen tip pressure options Intuos has. Maybe in two years I see to buying one especially when I really get down to the nitty gritty of animation university. 

I've been lagging as far as work on Noobie Bounty Hunter. Video games kind of got my spare time these couple of weeks ehehe. I'll get KI-WI's character sheet done and will move on to the rest of the current cast promise.

In other news, I've been reading a lot of web comics. It's a way to get into the comic making mood I guess. So what am I reading? List time!

What web comics L.A. is reading:

First off is Andrew Dickman's The Roomies . I don't remember if I talked about Andrew Dickman in my favorite artist part 1 post but yeah Andrew is one of my favorite artist out there. He's an animator and or cartoonist and The Roomies is a project near and dear to his heart. He started this comic a long while ago but he dropped it because he didn't know where he wanted it to go. After some many years, he finally figured out how he wanted to tell the story and here we are. This web comic is new and started earlier this March and though the story hasn't caught on just yet, it is looking pretty solid.

Next up is Mary "Cube" Cagle's Kiwi Blitz. I actually really like Cube's style because it follows a similar philosophy as my own style which is being simplistic. My character KI-WI and her name was not inspired by Kiwi bot that is strangely coincidental. If anything KI-WI's name is based on the fruit not the bird and she was thought up during my freshmen year of high school roughly 8 years ago. I have no idea why I named her KI-WI but I did. Anyways this is a pretty entertaining comic I'm not much for serious sci-fi stuff but I can totally chill with colorful and relatively up beat sci-fi stories which in some cases Kiwi Blitz is. Granted the more recent chapters (or in the comic's case tracks) are much more darker in tone it's still very interesting and fun to read so yeah I'm eager to read the next track.

Jim Zub with the help of talented artist Shun Hong Chan put together a very, very beautiful and incredibly interesting web comic Makeshift Miracle. The art is beautiful and the story is very well though out and written so far. It's like one of those very good animes or anime movies that seem like a slice of life but actually have a bizarre, out of nowhere element to it. Like Haruhi or Summer Wars. Of course there is less of an Japanese influence in this comic and more of a western feel which is a great change of pace if I had to be honest. I'm eagerly waiting for new pages.

Snafu has a good number of on going web comics. I plan on reading Endling's Ever After as well as catch up with Bleedman's comics the Powerpuffgirl one, Grim Tales, and Sugar Bits. I'm not sure about the other comics but as far as it goes, Endling and Bleedman are my favorite artist here. Sadly I think Ever After hasn't been updated for 4 years but I haven't read all of it so I can make some head way.

Lastly we got Gigi D.G.'s Cucumber Quest. A very colorful comic that may remind people of Adventure Time. I've never really been fond of Adventure Time but I find this comic to be interesting. It has a neat sense of humor and though the art may seem cute and colorful for a man like me to enjoy I do. I remember some one told me once that I draw too cute for a guy and in some cases I agree. The visuals of this comic are nice, the story pretty interesting so far and the humor is really something. I like the food theme going on in it.

Some other web comics I'm thinking about reading are Sanctuary School, Romantically Apocalyptic, and Eerie Cuties.

So yeah sleep in, work on some school stuff, but mainly work on my web comic! So I'm off! *Wosh!*

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the exam. My english teacher is really, ummm, how do you put it? Well, her expectations are really high, and I mean really high. Anyways, I try to shake things off like that and move on since it's more than half year over for school. But I can't wait to see your comic, I'm it'll be beautiful as all the other drawings you did :). See ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah oh well. I worst comes to worst then I'll have to drop the class and take it again come summer semester. I wouldn't like to do that but it's better to get a withdraw grade rather than a failing grade as far as transcripts go. I'm glad you are looking forward to the comic which means I have to make as best as I can make it. I hope it will be a fun read which it should since I will enjoy making it for sure.

      Delete